West Park Healthcare Centre's Functional Enhancement Service (FES) is a 26-bed in-patient unit that provides longer term and less intensive rehab and therapeutic services to geriatric patients to improve functional ability, maximize their level of independence and enhance their quality of life.
A transdisciplinary team of specialized functional enhancement professionals provide a comprehensive assessment to establish a treatment plan that incorporates both therapeutic and patient goals. This plan may include:
- Active therapy to improve health, well-being, and quality of life
- Individual and/or group therapy sessions three to five times each week, based on individual needs
- A stay of three to four months, allowing more time for them to benefit from therapy
- Working with patients and families throughout the program to identify community resources and services that may be of assistance to patients upon their return to community living
Funding: The cost of the service is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Patients of West Park's FES are adults (55 years of age and older) who:
- Are medically stable and have identified therapy goals prior to admission in at least two areas (physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech language pathology, etc.)
- Have sufficient cognitive capacity to participate in goal-setting and are able to learn and retain therapy instructions/information
- Are able to tolerate and benefit from regular therapy interventions
- Who are motivated and willing to take part in programs offered
- Have an identified discharge destination (e.g. their own home, a retirement residence, long-term care home)
A physician referral is required. To find out more on how to refer, visit here. To access the relevant referral form, click here.
For admission information, please call the Admitting Department at West Park Healthcare Centre at 416-243-3632, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional Functional Enhancement Service information, please call 416-243-3600 ext. 4052, or email Angela.Loponte@westpark.org.
The cost of medical and professional care in standard ward accommodation (where four people share one room) is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care requires an additional daily complex continuing care co-payment, which is subject to change (a 30-day notice of increases will be provided).
Additional fees are charged for semi-private (two people per room) and private (one person per room) accommodation. Details on co-payments and preferred accommodation are available from West Park's Financial Services Department at (416) 243-3600, ext. 2074.