Some people with complex or progressive illnesses or severe disabilities can't get the care they need in the community or in a long-term care facility. At West Park, they find a home.
West Park Healthcare Centre's 26-bed General Complex Continuing Care Service is a specialized 24-hour, residential nursing care program for people with complex or progressive illnesses or disabilities, such as Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Lou Gherig's disease (ALS), paraplegia or dementia.
The General Complex Continuing Care Service provides:
- Care by professionals experienced in treating the complex medical, physical, social and emotional problems associated with long-term illness and disabilities;
- In conjunction with a healthcare team, a personalized program to meet specific care and treatment needs;
- Education about the patient's condition, including opportunities to interact with others dealing with similar issues;
- Encouragement for family and friends to be a valuable part of the patient's support network and partner in the patient's activities;
- Special sensory stimulation activities that help patients connect with their environment and live more richly within their limitations.
Multiple Sclerosis and other complex issues
Funding: The cost of the service is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. See "Additional Information" for more detail on other costs.
Candidates for West Park's General Complex Continuing Care Service are adults who:
- Have a chronic or progressive illness whose potential for improvement is limited
- Are medically stable
- Are unable to live independently in the community
- Have care needs that exceed those available through community services or in a nursing home because of medical complexity (e.g. tracheostomy or feeding tubes)
A physician referral is required. To find out more on how to refer, visit here. To access the relevant referral form, click here.
For admission information, please call the Admitting Department at West Park Healthcare Centre at 416-243-3632, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional Complex Continuing Care Service information, please call 416-243-3600, ext. 4828, or email email@example.com
The cost of medical and professional care in standard ward accommodation (where four people share one room) is covered for patients with a valid Ontario Health Card issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care requires an additional daily complex continuing care co-payment, which is subject to change (30-day notice of increases will be provided).
Additional fees are charged for semi-private (two people per room) and private (one person per room) accommodation. Details on co-payments and preferred accommodation are available from West Park's Financial Services Department at 416-243-3600, ext. 2074.