Please refer to the West Park Application Checklist to ensure you submit a complete application package.
Step 1. Operational Impact Assessment
All research applications require operational impact assessment by a West Park manager or director responsible for the department where the research will be conducted.
Step 2. Preparing the Research Application
The following documents must be included with your research application:
1) Cover letter addressed to Dr. Ron Heslegrave, Chair, Joint Research Ethics Board
2) Joint Bridgepoint/West Park/Toronto Central CCAC Research Ethics Board (JREB) Application form
3) Study protocol*
- Literature Review
- Clinical Relevance
- Operational Impact
- Budget information
- Project Time Line
- Informed Consent Form (written in lay terms)
Please include Dr. Heslegrave’s information:
Dr. Ron Heslegrave, Chair, Joint Research Ethics Board
82 Buttonwood Avenue, Toronto ON M6M 2E6
4) Research Study Operational Impact Assessment form signed by a West Park Director or Manager
5) Abbreviated CVs (no longer than 7 pgs) for PI and co-applicants
6) Previous REB ethics certificates, if available (External researchers must provide an REB ethics certificate from their institutional REB. This requirement is waived only if their home institution does not operate an REB)
* Note that for retrospective chart applications, a protocol/proposal is not required provided that the Form for Access to Retrospective Data for Research is sufficiently complete to justify the scientific purpose and the waiver of consent. Please err on the side of more information. Should the Chair deem it necessary, a protocol/proposal might be requested mainly for the purposes of supplementing the form. The goal is to reduce the burden on investigators seeking chart review approval only though sufficient justification from a scientific, ethical and privacy perspective is still required.
Step 3. Submitting the Research Application
Please send the following:
1) The original and 2 extra copies (with signatures) of the complete application package to:
Research and Evaluation
West Park Healthcare Centre
82 Buttonwood Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M6M 2E6
2) An electronic copy of the complete application package (with signatures) to email@example.com
1) The original and 1 extra copy (with signatures) of the complete application package to the above address.
2) An electronic copy of the complete application package (with signatures) to Ruby.Paner@westpark.org
For assistance with application submissions and operational impact assessment please contact Ruby Paner at 416-243-3600 x4333.