• Recognized internationally as a leader in cardiovascular and pulmonary rehabilitation
• Dr. Brooks’ innovative research has led to significant improvement in patient care and deepened the understanding of the basic mechanisms of respiratory disease.
• Canada Research Chair in Rehabilitation in COPD.
• Senior Scientist at West Park
Areas of Expertise
• Rehabilitation Medicine
• PhD, Medical Sciences, University of Toronto, 1998
• Master of Science (MSc), Physiology, 1990
• Bachelor of Science, Physical Therapy
• Senior Scientist, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute (TRI)
• Professor, Department of Physical Therapy, University of Toronto
• Graduate Coordinator, Graduate Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Toronto
• Associate Member, HSFO Centre for Stroke Recovery, Sunnybrook
• Past Member, CIHR Advisory Board, Institute of Circulatory and Respiratory Health
• Scientific Editor, Physiotherapy Canada journal
• Canada Research Chair in Rehabilitation for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
• Enid Graham Award (highest honour given to a Canadian physiotherapist
• Meritorious Service Award, Lung Association
• Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal
Sample of publications
1. Harrison SL, Lee A, Goldstein R, Brooks D. Perspectives of healthcare professionals and patients on the application of mindfulness in individuals with Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Patient Education and Counseling. 2016 Aug 20. In Press.
2. Janaudis-Ferreira T, Araujo T, Romano JM, Camp P, Hall M, Mathur S, Brooks D. Perspectives of Canadian final-year physiotherapy students on cardiorespiratory physiotherapy as a career choice. Physiotherapy Canada. 2016 Aug 17.
3. Holland AE, Harrison S, Brooks D. Multi-morbidity, frailty and COPD: are the challenges for PR in the name? Chron Respir Dis. 2016 Jul.